Wednesday, March 22, 2006

V for Vendetta

I absolutely love this film. It's been a while since I've watched a film that I really really really enjoyed. Well... I enjoyed Hostel. It was funny, funnier watching it with Dad. But V... wowed me. It's a talking movie. But given that I enjoyed Before Sunset and Before Sunrise, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...I love talking movies. Or at least some of them. But see, these films have a way of getting you interested all the way through. Some movies like Million Dollar Baby gets boring..and I actually fell asleep watching it... twice in fact. V..oh V!!! It was intense, exciting and smart.

"Remember, remember, the fifth of November, gunpowder treason and plot. I see no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

V for Vendetta is a drama/action movie. It entertained me from the very start. I love the way Hugo Weaving played V. Even behind the mask you can feel his emotions. The way his head tilts when he feels bashful. The way he moves is so smooth and just plain sexy. Haha!!! NO but seriously, he was compassionate and kind but still very ruthless and all that, I felt that with his mask on. Now, that's a good actor.

Natalie Portman, as always never fails to surprise me. She's one of the most beautiful people I know (I remember keeping her pin-up from BOP just because I found her sooo beautiful), and eventhough her head was shaved in the movie, she still looked phenomenal. She played Evey (I'm gonna name one of my kids that btw), so well from being a terrified girl to finally overcoming her fears and really becoming a woman of strength. I really like the line when V told Evey, "You're never truly free when you are afraid." Or something like that...which is absolutely true.

Maybe the reason I loved the movie so much is because it tackles a relevant socio-political issue. Although it clearly is a work of fiction, the ideas it present are real. Now, if there's just someone who could blow up Malacañang..haha!! That would be great, wouldn't it?

So who should be in Malacañang when that happens?

1. Politicians, of course..all the corrupt ones. Which means..almost all of them. Malacañang is a big place. I'm sure they'd all fit in there. Maybe it's better if their families who benefit from their corruptions should be in there, too. Most of these people would have their families with them, anyway given that mini political dynasties are very common. This is a double whammy. By including these bitches and sons of bitches, we also get drug lords, tax evaders, thieves, the mafias, the novu rich who think they can buy everything (from the people's money, of course) woohoow!! The Philippines would be a much better place without these people.

2. Big businessmen who do not pay their taxes. Hmm..maybe blowing up SM instead is a better idea?

3. Jeep/taxi/bus drivers who do not follow traffic rules. Traffic jams are a pain in the ass, literally, aren't they? This would also minimize people from getting heart attacks.

Okay..maybe including 2-3 in Malacañang would be so cruel already. Besides, it's because of the government people are they are today. Those big businessmen have close links to the government. But don't you think it's just fair that they be included because they've made lots of money in the expense of many Filipinos???

Okay..so maybe let's take out number 3. But when will they ever learn?! I think, never. It's in their system already. Looking at the faces of these drivers, you can see that they've been doing it for years. But that's Juan Dela Cruz right there. In the faces of those drivers..suffered a lot and just doing what they can to survive and in their little ways, they find themselves in control and in their case, in control of the streets. So maybe a change in the government would mean they'd change too.

But I'd like to add one more:

4. Lawyers who shouldn't be lawyers.

If I remember it right, my prof told me that there are more Filipino lawyers than the population of Singapore. That's supposed to be good, right? Not really. Why? Because most of these lawyers didn't really pass the bar. Given that the educational standards have been decreasing since time immemorial, most of these "lawyers" do not know anything about the law. Maybe if we regulate all the REAL lawyers, the number of lawyers we have would only be 20% of what we have now. And what are these "lawyers" doing? God knows what. Probably making money and taking advantage of uneducated Filipinos.

Ohh..and just for fun...I would like to include:

5. Tim Yap and his posse. It's because of him and his posse that the elite think they are masters of the universe. Sheesh. And as if these parties are clean. Of course, he didn't start all this. It's been part of the history of the Philippines that there were people like him. The elitists. Filipinos who think they're better than everybody else just because they have more money and they even talk behind each other's backs. Okay. What I'm referring to is the elite who does nothing for our country. I just put Tim Yap because I want to. Haha!


With all these crap that's happening to our country and given the powerlessness to change it all at once eventhough I really want for something radical to happen, this has been enough. I can stop complaining about all the shit. It's time to start doing something for the country. But this doesn't mean that the government should be appeased. I want the government to be restless. They better start doing something and don't mean catching bad guys on the streets. I hope it wouldn't be long for a person like V to appear.

"People should not be afraid of the governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home