Saturday, September 25, 2004

Car Trouble

I woke up with a good feeling today. My whole day is scheduled and I felt great. I went to the gym and had my sauna after. Did all that with Zaza. And that was "the life". Then we went to Town for our facial. Seemed as if nothing could go wrong. Then Ate Erin called me and said she was in a hurry to go to school. She had a meeting with her adviser at 1pm. We were finished by 1215. We were walking really fast, almost running. I even texted Ingrid, whose riding with me to be in the terminal at 1230. When we reached the parking lot, we hopped into the car. I started the engine and headed for the exit. On the way there, Zaza asked me if I have P10.00 for the parking fee. I checked out my wallet with the car running slow. I knew there was a car in front of us so I started to slow down, still looking for the P10.00. A few seconds after, I felt the car bump the car in front of us. Since we were almost going to stop when we hit it, I knew the damage wouldn't be huge. I saw the people in the car look at me so I backed it up a little with my left hand in the air saying "Sorry, Sorry!". "Pucha!" Zaza said. To my surprise, a guy got out of the car from the backseat. He checked his bumper for damages approached me. I opened my window. My heart began to beat really fast. Then he asked for my license. Fuck. I didn't have a license! So I told him that I didn't have my license with me. Then he asked for the car registration. Fuck! I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. From his accent, I was able to tell that he was Japanese. I got so nervous I didn't know what to do. He then asked the guards to call the police. About three guards approached us and I began to freak out. One guard asked for my lisence and I told him the same thing, it wasn't with me. Then he asked me if the one I'm with, Zaza has a license. Duh. So all I could so was get out of the car to see how bad the damage was. It was a white Honda and his bumper got tiny black spots which seemed to have come from my car's plate. I checked my car and no damages. Okay. I was able to breathe. Nothing serious. There were no dents in his car. But still, I was terrified. I started to explain, "Sir, I'm really sorry. I was in a hurry.." We were causing traffic already so the guards asked us to park our cars in the side of the street. I got into the car and said to myself, "Tang ina!" Zaza asked me just to give my student's permit. What the hell is she talking about?! That's not a lisence! Then I got out of the car again and we started to talk. The guards were telling me just to talk to this guy because I wouldn't want him to go to the police. I was driving without a frikking lisence!!! So I tried talking to him and he said he wouldn't go to the police. Whew! Both of us seemed to be in a hurry and so he just asked for my name and where he could reach me. He took out his palm pilot as I dictated him the details. His name is Muranaka. He's about in his 40's and from his face he looked really serious when he said he was going to call tonight. Then I turned to the driver and the guards. I asked them if they could estimate how much the repairs would cost. They were clueless. My estimate though was P3,000. Shit. I don't even have P500!!! At that moment, I knew I was dead.

I got into the car cursing and all I could hear from Zaza was "Baket di mo binigay tong permit mo! Driving without a license ka! Pwede ka makulong noh." What the fuck?! That's not what I needed to hear. Does she really want me to go to jail? What the hell was she thinking?! I tried to ignore her and checked the time. It was 1230 already. Ingrid's already in the terminal by that time. So I just asked Zaza to tell her that I'd be there at 1pm. Upon reaching the house, I changed my clothes, didn't bother eating lunch and in a minute, Ate Erin and I left the house. All these thoughts about the accident were in my head. On the way to the terminal, I told Ate Erin what happened. She was just quiet. I mean, she herself just got our car damaged. When we were in the terminal, Ingrid wasn't there. She bought lunch. Hay...lunch. I was hungry but I didn't care. I was just staring at the road thinking what the fuck I got into. Then she finally arrived. In the car, she started to offer me lunch. Cheesburger from Mcdo. Wow. I couldn't resist. She even gave my fries! So I told her I'd pay her. Turns out, she was given the wrong order. She ordered 1 Cheesburger meal and they gave her 3. She didn't have time to return it so she gave it to me. Thank goodness for that. Then for the rest of the ride to school, all I could think about was the Muranaka's car, how much the repair would cost and how mad my parents would be when they found out.

When I arrived at school, my blockmates were there and we talked about my accident. Ted, Aga and Jam as usual, is making fun at me. But they told me it would only cost about a thousand bucks and about 3 thousand max. Okay. So my estimate was right. But how the fuck am I goind to come up with that amount of money?! I tried not to think about it. I was thirsty from the heavenly fries and cheesburger I just had. But even the frikking vendo was broken. Good thing the people there told me beforehand it was or else, I lost my P20! Okay. Not really a good day, but hey, I was with people I haven't been with for the longest time so it was all good. When we went to class, that frikking class where all we do is just sit around, I felt really sleepy. Then the bell rang and it was time to go home. Thank goodness I thought to myself. Then I realized, that Japanese guy will call me!!! Holy shit. Then while waiting for my car, I told Chris, my carpool-mate what happened. Then he told me the solution is just Turtle Wax. The was the best thing I heard all day. So I started to feel better. On our way home, we just talked about getting drunk and having a carpool party. My problem is solved, I thought.

When I got home, I had my early dinner while I watch the TV. I was smiling already. I went to the den and connected to the internet. Then I checked my cellphone. Fuck. Mr. Muranaka texted saying that I have to pay him P5,000 tonight, or he'll file police report. No problem, I thought. I texted him and told him about the Turtle Wax and that filing a police report would only be troublesome for both of us. Problem solved, I thought. Then he replied that he researched on the internet that it wouldn't repair the damage I did to his car and that I'm not a child anymore and I should compensate him or else, I'd deal with it legally. Shit. I didn't have a license and I was driving and I wasn't looking at the road...I'd rot in jail! I went really nuts. Where the hell am I gonna find P5,000 tonight without telling my parents?! I talked to everyone who was online in my YM and asked for help. It was soo bad. But all of them said P5,000 was way too much for a small damage. So I asked him where I could call him. I asked for his landline number. Then I immediately texted the car experts I know, George and Steve. Then both of them said P5,000 is too much. They know some people who could repair it for only P2-3 thousand. I'd rather have that! So I was finally able to call him. I told him that my car expert friends know where to have it repaired and they even know a home service for car repair. Then he said, he only wanted Honda to repair his car. Then I said okay, then I apologized to him again. He told me he would go to my house for the money so I told him I'd just go to his house. Then it was all settled. P5,000. F-U-C-K. I stared at the computer for about a minute. I looked at my phone and started to compose a message that I'd send to my mom. Then I read his message to me again slowly..."Good pm Edel, This is Muranaka. I saw traffic accident Sep.20, and today again.." Gawwdd...Japanese are really bad in English. "..By the way, i ask mechanic of honda he said minimum of P5000 and need 5 days. During that time I cannot use car then I want to rental a car until fix, P1500 per day. Total: P5000+P1500x5days=P12,500." PUTANG INA. P12,500?! He's way over his head!!! He doesn't need to turn it over to Honda for 5 days!!! It could be done within a few hours! Is he kidding?! "..I don't want to make a police report if you can pay this amount tonight. Can you pay me it tonight?" Ohhhh God! With his bad grammar and the money he's asking me...I almost cried!!! There's no other way to solve this but to let my parents know. I checked the message I composed for my mom. I even said there I'd pay her every single centavo of that P5,000. But P12,500?! Fuck! It'd take me a lifetime! So instead of sending it to my Mom, I sent it to my Dad. Then he called me and asked me that he'd talk to him...I was on the verge of crying!!! Then he said he'd take care of it. Oh-MY-GOD. I'm dead...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home