Tuesday, October 19, 2004

The Funeral..errr..The Wake

Sunday morning, I woke up at 6 in the morning. Meaning I've had only 4 hours of sleep. Zaza said it's because of my hang over. I was energized though. Its days like those that I really appreciate the beauty of waking up early. Everything's peaceful since I'm the only one awake. I even looked out my window to see how pretty the day is, the birds are chirping, the sun's bright... I wanted to just listen to my Maria Mena CD even if I listen to it EVERY night but I didn't wanna wake Zaza. So I got out and went to the TV room. I took the remote but I didn't turn the TV immediately. I sat down the sofa and kind of looked around and enjoyed the silence. Hayy... that was the life. Then the bum in me made me turn on the TV. As usual, there's nothing to watch. I surfed through the channels but nada. Then I remembered that we were going to Tita Dely's wake. (okay..it's probably better if the title for this entry is.. The Wake...*changes the title).

It's sad really. There I was just sitting down and appreciating the beauty of life around me when the thought of her death dawned in me. She was our cool lola. Everytime she comes, she wants all of us to greet her with our kisses. When we were younger, she'd scare us by removing her false teeth. And even when she was in her death bed, she'd always make sure we feel comfortable, forcing Ate Mahal to give us softdrinks and crackers. For the most part though, I'm really relieved that she passed peacefully. She's had enough pain and I think it's just about time for her to join her creator.

When we went to Funeraria Paz, Tita Boots, Tita Baby and Tita Mercy were there, Tito Manoling on his way home already. The room was filled with flowers. Everyone knew how Tita Dely loved flowers. First thing of course I did was go to Ate Mahal and give her a little hug (I don't really hug people but she needed one!). We looked at the body and it almost looked like a different person. I didn't shed a tear (is that bad?!). I guess I wasn't really sad because I expected it already. Ate Mahal was entertaining a few relatives so Tita Boots, Tita Mercy and Tita Baby came to us. For the first part, we just talked about Tintin's birthday, then Tita Boots told us how scared they were fearing that Tita Dely might visit them anytime. It was funny. That's how Filipinos really are...we can turn any sad situation to funny ones. But for the most part, we sang The Sound Of Music since it was Tita Dely's favorite. Haha. It was hilarious. Then we planned this year's Christmas party. As usual, after deliberate planning, countless suggestions, we're back with the Filipiniana theme. But that's the Arcega's and that's how I love it.

Tita Dely will surely be missed but she'll always be remembered.

Then we went to Tito Hubert's house. I've never really seen Tito Hubert, dad's so-called asshole bestfriend. I don't have a memory of him except his phone calls to Dad. It was his son's birthday and they're having problems because they can't meet half way and so Dad, being the godfather was called to the rescue. He's one unique individual. A little sabog but like Dad said, he's kind-hearted. He loves animals, and he's very hospitable even if their house was about to fall apart. We all kind of hesitated eating the food they were offering, but it was all good. It was a good experience finally meeting him. He's sentimental, he's weird, he's obviously smart but it seems like he's not a very good dad. His son obviously doesn't wanna end up like him which is good, I think. He's a bum. Oh shit. Seeing him actually made me open my eyes. I don't wanna end up like him. It's a mediocre life. And so...I'm sort of inspired. I WILL MAKE MYSELF! So bringing me to Tito Hubert's probably the best thing Dad's done for me. Haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home